Alor Setar Trip

Jan 15, 2013 in , , ,

For our last vacation of 2012, my parents and I went to visit my dad's schoolmate and his family in Alor Setar. We had planned to go quite a few times before, but somehow, the trips never panned out. This time, however, we were determined to make it work.

We dropped by Penang first to visit my grandparents, and after breakfast, headed straight for Alor Setar. It's a town north of Penang, and is the capital of Kedah. My dad's friend, Uncle Hor, is a doctor there along with his wife, Aunty Hor, and they are both well-respected. This translates into him bumping into people he has treated before often, and them coming to his house and dropping off home-made kuih. When he took us to buy some fresh (and raw) seafood, we found out that he's friends with the man there too. It was kind of nice, seeing how genuine and down-to-earth the people there are.

On the first day, we went to Nasi Lemak Ong for lunch. The food was really good, and I enjoyed it! The chicken was soft and flavorful, and the rice wasn't what you would expect. To be honest, it didn't really taste like nasi lemak to me, but I definitely still liked it.

Over those few days, I also spent some time with his two young sons, both of whom are adorable. The older one, who is twelve this year, is a genius who has won lots of competitions, and loves to build things. While we were there, he showed us the projector that he made on his own from a super old (as in, probably before he was born) one.

The younger son is cute, haha. You just can't stay glum around him! During one of the mornings, I decided to make an origami crane because I'd been wanting to make one for a while, and he asked me how to do it. After that, we made lots of origami together, haha.

On the second day, Aunty Hor made the best pizza I have ever tasted in the afternoon, which I fell in love with even before she put it in the oven. Usually, one slice is all it takes to satisfy my stomach, but I just couldn't let this one go without one extra slice. It was just that good, and full of yummy toppings.

Later, we took a nice walk around their neighborhood. We were kind of expecting it to be hot, but surprisingly enough, the weather was nice. Their area is very green too, which probably helped a lot with that.

We had some meals outside, and Uncle Hor took us to some of the best restaurants in town. On our last night there, they cooked hotpot at home, which also consisted of seafood that Uncle Hor caught himself. It was definitely very fresh! The soup was tasty, too.

Time moved by much slower there, which was nice. It was kind of funny, but in a good way since it meant that we had time to do more things.

It was a little sad when we had to leave, but it was such an awesome trip. I'm also looking forward to seeing the two brothers again!